Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Explanation of the name, just because

Just because I feel like making a first post before any class ones, and I think some of my friends might be interested (though maybe not those in my class who will be looking at this blog), I decided to explain where I got the name for my blog.

There is an album I've listened to which contains solely Turloch O'Carolan songs. For those who don't know, Turloch O'Carolan is a famous Irish harper who was blind. There is one song on this album called Carolan's Rambles to Teague. It is a solo wooden flute (or at least it sounds like a wooden flute to me), and the way it is recorded it sounds very hallow and echoing. I love the song. I've looked up information about it, and it's variations on a song called 'When she cam ben'.

So, I was here thinking about the name for my blog, and I knew that I'd probably be rambling on about the books and articles I will have to read for class (and possibly other things), I thought of this song. Then I decided to name my blog 'Sarah's Rambles to Teague'.

And on another note, my blogs are signed Brigid. This is the name I have taken for the Society for Creative Anachronism. It's a Medieval and Renaissance reenactment group in which you take a name and pick a place you are from, and pretend you are a person who could possibly live there during a particular time. So you are not being a true historical person; just someone who would have been there at that time. Now you know why I'm signing Brigid instead of Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment